Thursday, April 10, 2014

Part 1: Favourite Paranormal Creatures

So BLMorticia recently talked about one of her favourite spots on a guy. Ok, it was a couple months ago but time flies so fast that it feels fairly recent still.

Back on track. It got me thinking; her main genre is erotica, and that is a fairly erotic spot, that V over the hips. My main genre is paranormal, so why not talk about something that I love from the paranormal world.

Well, it was too hard for me to pick one, so over the coming months I'll be talking a little about my favourite paranormal creatures. I'm kicking it off with my namesake, the Phoenix.

We all know the basic mythology. The fiery bird with a long life that bursts into flames and is reborn from the ashes. A beautiful metaphor, I felt drawn to the Phoenix when I started writing again.

I had become filled with melancholy, and a large part of it stemmed from my lack of creativity. In most part, I had given up hope of writing any story at all, let alone having other people read it. But I was encouraged to give it another shot, and that spark soon grew into a roaring fire, giving me new purpose for me, as my own person, and I flew with it.

It's an obvious paranormal creature to appreciate, but that doesn't make it any less beautiful and mysterious. There is the obvious tale of being reborn from fire, and it certainly is more glamorous than some alternative theories.

It has always been shown with a nimbus with rays around its head, like the Greek God
Helios, or to have wonderful plumage on it's head, or even compared to a rooster with a large crest. There are many thoughts on the exact colouring, from that of a peacock to the red and yellow associated with the fire from which it gains new life in the popular myth, and the sun which it is said to represent in others.

It's one of those creatures that are featured in the cultural, artistic and religious history of many countries, each giving it their own flavour, their own twist.

Whatever this bird looks like or represents to the person imagining it, what we can agree on is that it is a wonderful metaphor, and I would personally love to see more stories incorporate this noble, if mythological, feathered creature.

I'm not quite sure which creature I'll talk about next week, but I promise I will have some sexy pictures next time. *wink*

~Phoenix

Phoenix Johnson is an Australian author who has always had the passion for the written word. She had her nose in at least one book ever since she could read and would even scrutinize the back of the cereal box every morning at breakfast. It was only natural she take up writing.
After reviewing a few delicious titles for Naughty Nights Press as she wrote her first titleThe Wolf in the Neighborhood, Phoenix was of one mind to submit it to NNP, and she hasn't looked back. She feels that being invited to write for the NNP blog is a great honour, and loves being part of the team!

No comments:

Post a Comment