Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Flash Fiction

E. A. Black writer dark fiction and horror. Elizabeth Black writes erotica and erotic romance. You may find E. A. on her Amazon Author Page, and you may find Elizabeth at her Amazon Author Page. She is available on Facebook and Twitter as well.


-----

I would love to see some of my flash fiction published. I nearly succeeded with Daily Science Fiction, a very good setup that publishes very short fiction. My story is called "The Care And Feeding Of Your Pet Dragon". It hasn't been accepted yet, but I'm still working on it to make sure it eventually is accepted.

Flash fiction is works of approximately 1,000 words or less. I've tried my hand at it for fun and it's quite the exercise. Not a single word is wasted and you don't waste time on extemporaneous speech. Some flash fiction is only two sentences. Here are some examples of scary two sentence flash fiction shorts that really creeped me out. Can you beat them?
I begin tucking him into bed and he tells me, "Daddy, check for monsters under my bed." I look underneath for his amusement and see him, another him, under the bed, staring back at me quivering and whispering, "Daddy, there's somebody on my bed." The last thing I saw was my alarm clock flashing 12:07 before she pushed her long rotting nails through my chest, her other hand muffling my screams. I sat bolt upright, relieved it was only a dream, but as I saw my alarm clock read 12:06, I heard my closet door creak open. After working a hard day, I came home to see my girlfriend cradling our child. I didn't know which was more frightening, seeing my dead girlfriend and stillborn child, or knowing that someone broke into my apartment to place them there.
I hope you enjoyed the flash fiction scary stories. As most people who know me know, I enjoy dark fiction and horror very much. I've written erotic horror. That said, there are also some good flash fiction romances out there. One good site is Romance Flash. Some of the stories are quite good.


So why not give flash fiction a try? It's a great writing exercise. You'll learn to be succinct very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment