Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Averting Disaster - Back Up Your Files!

I had a miserable week because I decided to try to "fix" my computer and ended up breaking it beyond repair. Luckily, I backed up everything long beforehand. My computer is fixed now as of a few hours ago after being out of commission for over a week, hence this very short blog post. Here is my message:

Back Up Your Files!

1. Have a backup set up on a flash drive, separate server, zip discs, or other physical means.

2. Email yourself important documents as you work on them. Your email will preserve your work.

3. If you have access to the Cloud, use it.

4. Email your stuff to a close, trusted friend to keep it for you in case something horrid happens and you lose it.

5. Use a backup service if you wish but I don't really think it's necessary. It's also an added expense.

I'm lucky that I already back up everything like crazy. This mess could have been a real tragedy if I hadn't. My brief post is a friendly reminder to back up your documents and such to avoid losing valuable material.

2 comments:

  1. I think it was about 2 years ago now that I lost almost 3 month's worth of work when a USB flash drive just died . . . a total brick. I lived and died by it, because I was constantly carrying my work from my home PC, to the office PC, to the office laptop. and was devastated when it died. I even went to pay $50 to try and recover anything off of it, but no luck.

    Ever since then I've been using the Dropbox service, which is not only free, but which installs on my phone as well. Best invention ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just learned about Dropbox. It's quite good from what I understand. I'm so sorry about you losing all that work. That's why I back up to multiple sources now.

    ReplyDelete