Assistant Copy Editor Required For Digital Publisher
Naughty Nights Press
Assistant Copy Editor
Must have experience/be proficient in all general aspects of US Standard English editing, ebook editing, ebook formatting and Microsoft Word.
Must have reliable computer with own Microsoft Office software, work from own location via Internet communications, Facebook, Skype and Email, and have the ability to work in a virtual team environment, establish and maintain reasonable routines/schedules and meet strict deadlines.
Must be willing to edit ALL sub-genres of erotic fiction with primary focus on Erotic/Paranormal Romance/Erotic Horror/Science Fiction/Fantasy/Steampunk & Other sub-genres
Including: GBLT, Ménage, Multiple Partner interactions, BDSM and Consent/Non-consent.
As well as other fiction genres from time to time that the publisher considers exceptional.
There will be no bestiality, underage characters or rape except in the extreme rare circumstance where the illegal/immoral act is critical to the storyline and/or past history to a character
Editing ebooks/articles/compositions/blogs/webpages etc. in Microsoft Word (.doc) Track Changes function for all grammatical and punctuation errors, tense, noun and verb use etc. Ensuring strong plotlines, flow and correct sentence structure and producing an excellent quality final manuscript working closely with the author.
Other duties reasonable/related to the position as required.
Reply with resume, at least three samples of your work, a 500-1000 word description of relevant experience and why you believe you would be a good fit for the position, and references as an attachment (.doc only please) to:
email@example.com with Assistant Copy Editor as the subject line.
Only candidates being considered will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Detailed Overview Of Assistant Copy Editor Position
Must have the ability to competently send/receive e-mail and/or text messages, transmit and download data/books/stories etc, perform research, or review materials using the Internet. Strong organizational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Review MS copy for errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling and check the copy for readability, style, and agreement with editorial policy.
- Suggest/complete revisions, such as changing words and rearranging sentences and paragraphs, to improve clarity or accuracy.
- Overseeing and coordinating multiple writing projects simultaneously.
- Arrange page layouts of multiple digital book versions, articles, photographs, and advertising; compose headlines; and other duties necessary to prepare copy for digital printing on tight and specific deadlines.
- Assist on/prepare small publications/emagazines, compile articles available from the Internet, answering emails and proofread articles/blogs/webpages etc.
- Carry out research and confirm sources for writers/publisher and verify facts, dates, and statistics.
- Read and evaluate manuscripts submitted by freelance writers, proofread printers' galleys, and answer inquiries about published material.
Successful Candidate will preferably have a degree in communications, journalism, or English, however those with other backgrounds and who can demonstrate good writing skills through paid assignments or other works based upon the quality of the writing or unique perspective may be considered without regard to the absence of a degree.
- Must be able to express ideas clearly and logically and should enjoy writing/reading.
- Excel in the knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Excel in understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience
- Excel in the ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
The position requires being meticulous about detail and thorough in completing work tasks; being reliable, responsible, and dependable; fulfilling obligations on a specific and tight schedule; pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude; a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges; accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
Good sense of creativity, curiosity, a broad range of knowledge, self-motivation, and perseverance; must demonstrate good judgment and a strong sense of ethics.
In addition, the ability to concentrate and to work under pressure is essential. Requires tact and the ability to guide and encourage others in their work
Applicants with experience/knowledge in Adobe and other digital conversion software, XML programming and metadata management, statistical analytics, Web design, information architecture and app development, or those with a background in accounting procedures/excel spreadsheets/database management or royalty software will be considered a definite plus.